Summer is a hard time if you’re a pair of designer sunglasses. When the spring eventually comes to an end and the sun begins to pack a punch, shades across the country take a deep breath and pray that they will be around long enough to see Autumn.
For sunglasses, summer is the time when their needs are ignored. It is the period when their owners are having too much of a good time to invest in maintenance or handle them with care and respect.
Don’t let your Oliver Peoples Sunglasses burn out this summer. If you’ve decided to invest in a pair of the high quality designer frames it’s certainly worth investing time to care for them. Find out the dos and don’ts when it comes to protecting your shades. Don’t let your beloved frames suffer.
Clean them like you mean it
You’re sitting outside in a restaurantabout to tuck into your meal and you are distracted by the big blurry smear on your lens. You remove your shades and apply the ‘breathe and rub method’- using your ‘clean’ shirt to wipe of course.
This is NOT an acceptable way to clean your glasses. Your Oliver Peoples are judging you. All you are doing is moving the dirt around the lens, probably scratching it in the process.
- Smudges and dirt should be removed with a lint-free soft cloth with lens cleaner liquid.
- Don’t have lens cleaner? Fine. Go to the bathroom and wet your lenses with warm water, pumping hand soap onto the surface to lubricate any grainy dirt. Once you’ve done this, simply wipe with a paper towel.
Wear them with care
Living in the UK we’re never too sure just when the sun will come out. If the clouds part and reveal a smidgen of sunshine, we reach for our sunglasses that are hidden in the depths of our bags or nestled in our pockets along with our car keys.
As the weather struggles to make up its mind our sunglasses suffer the horror of resting on top of our heads- or worse still, sitting face down on a hard surface.
What’s wrong with this? All of it. You’re a monster.
Whilst your sunglasses roam free in the darkest corners of your handbags the potential for scratches is increased as they wrestle with house keys, combs and loose change. When you’re sick of showing off your shades and you choose to fix them firmly to the top of your head, the frame lets out a small scream as it is needlessly stretched and misshapen.
- Buy your glasses a portable home. A case can transform the life of your shades. It protects them from the items that are jealous of their designer label and want to cause damage.
- Has the sun gone into hiding again? Make sure that you remove your glasses with two hands. Using one hand will only bend the arm of your frame. Why should it suffer?
- If you want your glasses out of the way, don’t stretch them across your head. Take them off, fold the arms inwards and put them down with the frames facing upwards. Better still, put them back in their case. If you don’t rest your shades in a suitably safe place the chance of them being broken or lost forever is heightened.
Kit them out
Ok so you know the basics but you can’t act on this advice if you haven’t got the essentials. It’s worth taking note of what you might need to buy to keep your Oliver Peoples Prescription Glassessafe this summer.
- A hard case that is not too big- you don’t want your glasses to be moving around all day.
- A soft lens cloth. It’s a small square cloth that you can usually buy at any opticians.
- Lens cleaner. A liquid that you put onto your glasses to lubricate the dirt.
These are the items that are necessary when it comes to caring for your sunglasses. Without them, you will revert back to your shade-hating ways. Nobody wants that to happen.
Oliver Peoples takes great care in designing and making sunglasses. They put their heart and soul into it. Their products are fashioned from the very best materials and handcrafted by the very best experts in the business. Therefore it’s very upsetting when the lifespan of a great pair of shades is tragically cut short due to neglect and carelessness.
Make sure your shades survive this summer.